Legacy on the mind

the need to leave a legacy is our spiritual need to have a sense of meaning, purpose, personal congruence, and contribution”
Stephen R. Covey

I live on the "backside of life" officially.  Unless I live to be 95 yrs old, I have more years in the past than life ahead of me.  Thats not a sad thing or even a bad thing; its simply the reality of life. 

In the front side of life, we spend time identifying who we are and building foundations of life.  We train for careers, find significant others, build families, and strive for a quality of life where we can experience peace and some level of success.

There comes a time, when we are able to see the finitude of life, and not fear, but simply appreciate it.  It is in these moments, when we like Moses who asks God to "teach us to number our days" (Psalm 90:12).  We begin to acknowledge the privilege, the beauty, and the wonder of life, and we do not want to continue moving so quickly in life, that we miss its awesome splendor.

This realization is not a "pie in the sky" denial of pain, suffering, and struggle that is a part of life, but it is discovery that despite these things, we have experienced love and life, and these are gifts from God.

The desire to leave a legacy is based upon the confrontation of the finitude of life.  It is the full acceptance of the privilege of life and the joy that comes from being fully alive. 

Today, I believe that God is talking to me about my legacy.  60 years from now, what will be the lasting effects of who I love today?  The words I speak today, will they generate blessings or curses for my children, grandchildren and their children?  Are the actions and attitudes that I display today, going to result in the enriched life of someone tomorrow, next week, and long beyond my years of walking here.

Today, I thank God for life and love, and I pray that my legacy will be one of blessings and honor.  This is my prayer for you today as well.

May God bless you,

Pastor M Traylor

Comments

Dr. Mark Adams said…
Great word. And you are in the process of leaving a tremendous and life giving legacy.

Popular posts from this blog

Practical Prayer

Not even the Dignity of a Dog

Gay Marriage: A Pastor's thoughts